ST. LOUIS — The 107th World Series gets underway Wednesday night at Busch Stadium in St. Louis and features the Texas Rangers versus the St. Louis Cardinals. The Rangers will be making their second consecutive appearance, while the Cardinals have not been to the World Series since 2006, when they beat the Detroit Tigers.
Texas earned their spot to the fall classic by defeating the Tampa Bay Rays in the American League Division Series, three games to one, followed by a four games to two win over the Detroit Tigers in the American League Championship Series. St. Louis punched their ticket with series wins over the Philadelphia Phillies and the Milwaukee Brewers. The Cardinals won the National League Division Series by a three games to two margin and the National League Championship Series four games to two.
The Cardinals will have home-field advantage courtesy of the National League defeating the American League in the All-Star Game in Arizona earlier this year, 5-1. This could play a critical role, as the Rangers will potentially play four games without the designated hitter. What kind of impact will this have on the Rangers Nelson Cruz? Cruz hits seventh in the batting order and made history in the American League Championship Series hitting six homers and driving in 13. You have to wonder if he will see the same kind of pitches with the pitcher only two batters away. It will be interesting to see how Cardinals manager, Tony LaRussa, will handle his pitching staff against Cruz and the rest of the Rangers lineup.
Game one will feature two of the games premiere starting pitchers. C.J. Wilson will take the mound for the Rangers. Wilson is 0-2 in the postseason. The Cardinals will send out their ace, Cris Carpenter. Carpenter is 2-0 this postseason.
World Series Schedule:
- Game One: Wednesday, Oct. 19, Busch Stadium, 8:05 ET (FOX)
- Game Two: Thursday, Oct. 20, Busch Stadium, 8:05 ET (FOX)
- Game Three: Saturday, Oct. 22, Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, 8:05 ET (FOX)
- Game Four: Sunday, Oct. 23, Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, 8:05 ET (FOX)
- *Game Five: Monday, Oct. 24, Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, 8:05 ET (FOX)
- *Game Six: Wednesday, Oct. 26, Busch Stadium, 8:05 ET (FOX)
- *Game Seven: Thursday, Oct. 27, Busch Stadium, 8:05 ET (FOX)
- The Cardinals are playing for their eleventh World Series title.
- The Rangers are playing for their first title in team history.
- The Cardinals have played against the Rangers only once in interleague history, in Arlington.
World Series Stat of the Day:
- Tony LaRussa is the first manager to take two separate teams to the World Series three times. He did it with the Oakland Athletics and now with the Cardinals.
Who are you picking in the World Series? We want to hear from you!
The Good in Sports wishes the Rangers and the Cardinals the best of luck in the World Series.
Copyright © 2011 The Good in Sports, Inc. All rights reserved.